Sunday, January 5, 2014

An Introduction: Benjamin Michael Jenkins, Design Dork

Greetings! Benjamin here, graphic designer, antique enthusiast and younger sibling of co-author Emily!

I currently work at a local LGBT newspaper, BTL, serving as their art director and occasional contributing writer. We focus on local and statewide news and entertainment relevant to the queer community.

I stumbled into graphic design almost by accident. As a young teen, I dabbled in photoshop, creating LiveJournal avatars and desktop backgrounds. When I came to BTL, I intended to become a journalist; however – as often is the case in a small business – I chipped in down the hall when necessary, in the graphics department. Soon I was designing marketing materials, laying out segments of the paper and even designing covers.

That being said, I have a lot to learn about design.

Through Seven Magpies, I seek to blend my passions and hopefully become a stronger designer in the process. I hope to explore vintage and antique design, draw inspiration from it and learn how to replicate it. Hopefully, I'll find stellar examples of design principles and elements in the design of decades gone by, examine color palettes and typography, review books and product design and more.

P.S. I've not done much blogging before, so please bear with me as I work to find my voice – not to mention a little self-discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment